Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Homeschooling On The Rise

From USA Today: Home schooling grows
The ranks of America's home-schooled children have continued a steady climb over the past five years, and new research suggests broader reasons for the appeal.

The number of home-schooled kids hit 1.5 million in 2007, up 74% from when the Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics started keeping track in 1999, and up 36% since 2003. The percentage of the school-age population that was home-schooled increased from 2.2% in 2003 to 2.9% in 2007. "There's no reason to believe it would not keep going up," says Gail Mulligan, a statistician at the center.

I just recently found a couple of websites that provide some interesting quotes about education:

35 Thought Provoking Education Quotes

Quotes About Unschooling

To some extent, as I pursue my degree(s) in higher education, I can't help but be amazed at all the stupidity to be found among its halls. While the diverse classes do give me a well-rounded background, there is a massive majority of material I learned simply to fulfill the college's requirements, and which I will never, ever need. The stress of midterm and final exams is an artificial construct of unworldly proportions; college is supposed to prepare you for the real world, but there are few places in the real world where four months of lectures coalesce and culminate in one written performance, on which so much of your grade depends.

And I'm opting for another three years of graduate school!

Part of me longs for the days of apprenticeship, where you actually learned the trade hands-on from someone who already knew it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home