Thursday, July 17, 2008

More Discounted Literary Goodies

I wrote in September of last year about a library close-out book sale I attended, and the books I purchased. I would say I've read close to half of them. (My sister is a voracious reader, and I allow her to act as a sort-of screener for good books, and if she recommends them, I read them.)

I went to another sale today, and as usual, there's rows and rows, hundreds of books to browse through, and it takes a while to hone in on the proper section. It's always hard to know when and what to get, especially when prices are a dollar or less in most cases. Do I really want to buy Barbara Bush's memoirs, and will I really read them? Is it worth it to purchase Aldous Huxley's Brave New World just because he and his brother were noted for some interesting admissions regarding evolution?

At any rate, I finally found my zone inside a back (air-conditioned!) room, and harvested the following:

The Confessions of St. Augustine edited by Ernest Rhys, translated by E.B. Pusey. (The edition is from 1945...I love holding a book that old!)

The Age of Chivalry - The Legends of Charlemagne compiled by Thomas Bulfinch (1965)

Celtic Tales by Barbara Leonie Picard (1962)

The Age of Chivalry by Sir Arthur Bryant (1963)

A Night to Remember by Walter Lord (1964 edition - it's the story of the Titanic)

A Concise Treasure of Great Poems - English and American compiled by Louis Untermeyer (1963)

Colonial and Federalist American Writing edited by George F. Horner and Robert A. Bain

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells


Chowtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home