Monday, May 28, 2007

Darwin's Nose Evidence Against Intelligent Design?

What you didn't know about Darwin

Charles Darwin hated his nose. In fact, he thought it so unsightly that it was evidence against intelligent design. In a letter to a friend, he wrote about an ongoing conversation with his colleague, Charles Lyell.

“I have lately been corresponding with Lyell, who, I think, adopts your idea of the stream of variation having been led or designed. I have asked him (and he says he will hereafter reflect and answer me) whether he believes that the shape of my nose was designed.”

I can almost hear Darwin sniffing offendedly as he penned the next phrase: “If he does, I have nothing more to say.”


Some interesting tidbits about Darwin that I had left up on my browser from last week that I thought I'd share.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home